Ironically, the very thing we turn to for increased connectivity with others is proving to be the biggest disconnection point in our lives. Not only are we distracting ourselves from face-to-face interactions, but the virtual relationships we’re prioritizing are often lacking in the most important connection point of all–the intimacy of in-person warmth and sincerity.
To detect the presence or extent of your virtual void, ask yourself the following ten questions:
- How am I connecting with others online?
- What is the content of that connection?
- Would I be willing for my spouse or members of my family to view all of my online activities and content?
- What emotional needs are being met through these online relationships?
- How would I feel if I were unable to connect online for a day, a week, or even a month?
- How many non-family relationships do I maintain?
- Of those relationships, how many do I keep strictly online, meaning I don’t talk or visit but only connect online?
- Are there any online relationships or activities that pose a threat or provide competition to my in-person relationships?
- Am I willing, within the next week, to modify, limit, or sever any online relationship or activity that poses such a threat?
- If I’m not willing, what is holding me back? Be specific.
As difficult as it may be to face your answers to these questions, do not underestimate the power of these truths to naturally lend themselves to your transformation. Simply observing and accepting your behavior as it exists now will naturally inspire you to make more informed, and healthier, decisions in the future.
Do not be afraid to examine your virtual relationships and reevaluate the role they’re playing in your life. Through an honest assessment, you can come to better understand why you are seeking online connection. And if there are barriers you need help overcoming, do not hesitate to seek professional help.
If someone you know is suffering from technology addiction, depression, or anxiety, remember that there is HOPE. There are professionals ready to help. For more information about treatment call 1-888-747-5592 to speak confidentially with a specialist today. The Center • A Place of HOPE. The Center was recently ranked as a Top 10 facility in the country for the treatment of depression, and our team is standing by to help you and your loved ones.